How2 Social Sports
How2 Social’s vision is to empower athletes, coaches and administrators through education about how to create knowledge and value on new social and digital media.
The How2Social Sports program empowers professional athletes, teams and organisations to harness the power of the internet communications technologies to build brand value.
The program is born out of ongoing social media in sports studies that began at the University of Sydney in 2010 in the form of my Master’s thesis, To Tweet or Not To Tweet: Social Media as Strategic Communicatios in Australian Rugby Union.
Professional athletes, coaches (and to a lesser extent administrators) have a limited time to maximise the earn from their sporting efforts.
The ability to build capital (social and economic) should be a financial imperative, sought by forward-thinking player managers and community leaders.
In Australia, social leadership is light on the ground, with few sporting organisations moving towards the future standard of being social businesses.
So what’s stopping us?
- A true understanding of how new social media enables business and creates time and capital for the business, the leader and the employee, is lacking.
- Social Media is fluid and requires a rethink of all ingrained communications practices across EVERY touchpoint of the business.
- Change is hard and noone likes change.
- Social Media has its on language, practices and protocols and business simply doesn’t understand it as well as what they do traditional media. So knowing where to start is really hard.
- Professional sporting organisations and governing bodies are conservative organisations and their rigid structures don’t have the requisite flexibility, skill sets and intention to remould ingrained practice without significant key stakeholder buy-in and as with any change management program – change takes time.
- In order for forward thinking leaders to learn How2 Social (aka the art of being public), but due to the voracity of the tribe and constant media attention, they need to do so privately (and continuously) – their jobs (rightly or wrongly) depend on it!
The How2 Social Sports Program
Designed for professional athletes, coaches and administrators, the How2Social Sports program is a multi-platform social learning solution that scaffolds (supports) and mentors the individual (athlete, coach,administrator) along their social media journey.
For more information:
tel: +61 (0)2 8347 1530